Of course, I couldn't resist taking some photos of the world transformed. I wish I could have gotten some more. It was amazing, despite the huge amount of damage it did. The poor trees just snapped under the weight. It was equally as beautiful as it was destructive.


I think Mom wanted me to write about what we learned. Well, we learned that we're not well prepared. But, we also learned first hand what we already knew -the prophets give wise council. What we had was very very helpful. But, we still have more work to do while the harvest is plenty.
A butane stove would be helpful (you can use them inside), and maybe better sleeping bags? But, out here, we'd have fared better if we'd had a wood burning stove. The gas fireplace just doesn't put out a lot of heat - it goes up the chimney. Candles are great - we used the 100 hour candles, and whatever I had around. We also have an oil lamp. The kids really liked playing games by lamp light.
I also personally learned that I like the quiet - no buzz of computers, refrigerators, etc. Of course, those things are wonderful, but it was nice to be without them for a while. It also helped me realize how much time I waste on the computer - I had a lot more time. Some of it had to be spent on getting things ready for later, but if I'd applied myself, I probably could have cleaned out a few closets, etc.
I have also been thinking a lot about how important the "law of the harvest" is - when you have no instant gratification (trips to the grocery store, or a light switch or instant heat). You have to prepare ahead. You have to gather the wood, can the foods, prepare everything ahead of time. So, that's something I'm going to work towards - learning how to better prepare things ahead of time.
Happy preparing! Love you all.



No comments:
Post a Comment